Two weeks ago, I was shopping for our beach trip in Landmark when I came across these colorful belts for P19.75 each. I’m not exactly a belt wearer but these are perfect for DIY projects so I got one of each color and two red ones. I would have bought more if only I didn’t have other things to buy. Those belts will definitely be gone when I return to Trinoma but shopping for DIY materials was not part of the budget that time!
Anyway, I’ve been thinking about having a hanging planter in the house and using these belts is a great way to add a pop of color. I already have a spare vase lying around the house which I got from Uniwide Warehouse for P30.This project is really quick and easy. All you need are two belts, a vase and a pair of scissors.
Using the first belt, wrap it around the middle part of the vase or on its widest area. Mark the part of the belt where you plan to create a hole. Make sure it isn’t loose when it’s buckled up because it will hold the long belt and planter together. Once you have made the hole, cut the excess belt. Remove the little belt, put the other one just like the picture below and you’re done!
You can use the excess belt as an extension if your belt is too short. If you’re worried about the vase falling off, you may opt to secure it with a super glue. I like it this way because I can change the belt and the planter anytime. You can mix and match belt colors too.
Oh, and yes, the plant is fake. Don’t judge me! Haha!
My home office is still a work in progress and I’m still not ready for a final reveal. There are still a lot of unfinished details which I will post as soon as I get them done. So far, here is a couple of quick projects that I did weeks ago.
Washi tapes are great for adding pops of color in your personal space so I decided to use some of my old stuff for this makeshift holder. I have this shallow vase that I bought from Uniwide for P30. It would have been a perfect planter for succulents but I’m not yet ready for a live one so I used it to “grow” wash tapes instead.
I simply used a small piece of styrofoam to hold my driftwoods, cover it with decorative stones and added a bit of plastic grass. And because I don’t have any more tapes to display and two sticks simply look weird, I stuck an old paint brush upside down as a signage! Haha!And here is my burlap-wrapped cork boards. I painted the middle cork board with the same yellow I used on my office walls and glued a sisal rope around the edges. To attach the round boards on the wall, I simply used some heavy duty double-sided tapes. Still got lots to do here and I hope I can finish everything including the kids bedroom before the year ends.
After we had our kitchen repainted, I needed an art-like installation that could also function as pot holder. There is a blank wall on the side of the sink that would be perfect spot for this. Since I painted our kitchen a neutral color from too bright apple green, I needed a fresh pop of color.
I asked our carpenter to build me something similar to a typical pallet using 3pcs. 2″x4″ KD wood and 4 pcs. 1/2″x4″ reclaimed palochina wood. And here’s how I painted it using my craft acrylic paint and leftover latex paint used in our living room and kitchen.
This was quite experimental actually so I really couldn’t give an exact tutorial. But this is how I basically did it:
1. I diluted the blue paint from our living room with water to use as “wash” and I did not like the effect. Haha!
2. To remedy it, I mixed it with my blue craft acrylic and applied it to the still wet pallet. Added a bit of green and yellow here and there. I waited for a while for the paint and wood to dry (since I was using much water), then sanded the wood to blend the colors.
3. Not quite there yet so I added a bit more brown, more yellow, sanded it off. It was too bright for me so to tone down the colors, I added the same white paint I used for the kitchen wall and sanded it endlessly.
I got more pallet projects to paint. I just hope to find time to do it. 🙂