I’m now on my 36th week. I’ll be full-term by next week and I am so relieved that I finished all my projects (work-related ones) before September officially ends. So now I can devote 100% of my time to my last minute DIY projects. It’s quite frustrating, though, because simple tasks that should only take minutes to finish, are now too hard for me. I’m heavy, I’m huge, every movement is a struggle. Not to mention a few minutes of work yields several hours of intense lower back pain. I just cann0t wait for the baby to come out!
Anyway, a couple of months ago, I finally decided to buy my own sewing machine. I contemplated on buying second-hand one from the port or a brand new one from the mall. I initially borrowed my mother-in-law’s pier-bought portable sewing machine to sew pillows, pillow cases and curtains for the living room and I did not enjoy sewing at all! I wanted to give up because the machine was giving me such a hard time. I have zero background in sewing and I swore, sewing by hand would make my life a whole lot easier.
After 3 days of frustrated sewing, I went to Automatic Center in Trinoma to purchase my very own sewing machine, Brother BM- 2600. The first time I used it, I knew I would be hooked to sewing. So far, I have finished sewing 4 curtain panels, 15 pillow cases and made 10 throw pillows. Too basic, I know. I have yet to learn how to install a zipper and explore all those other 23 stitches (So far, I’ve only used running and zigzag stitch.) So now, I can cross out number 1 and 2 on my checklist: buy a sewing machine so I can sew cute (still working on that) pillow cases and curtains.
And now that I have my sewing machine, I need to have proper storage for my threads and other sewing notions. I love the idea of putting those stuff in a jar so I can easily find what I’m looking for. Plus those colorful threads are good enough to display. However, I need a pin cushion. I used to place them on top of my table and a lot end up on the floor and I worry that Bryce might accidentally step on them. I wanted a mason jar sewing kit just like the one from Anthropologie.
I’ve also seen a lot of tutorials on how to make your own out of mason a jar. But mason jars are rare here in Philippines (True Value sells mason jars in packs of 12) and that means, expensive. The tutorials I often find in the net involve removable lid center (typical feature of mason jars) but what if you only have a cute, vintage looking jar or even a plain-looking canning jar in hand? Well, here’s how I did mine.
First, trace the out the lid on a piece of cardboard then cut a square (or if you want, circle. I’m just too lazy) piece of fabric big enough to cover the cardboard circle. Remember, you will still put fiber fill/stuffing inside so mind your allowance. TIP: You can get your fiber fill from old pillows. If you have none, I guess cotton would do. Then simply secure the fabric on the cardboard using masking tape. See, I’m not lazy. After this, I know you can figure out how to make it taut using your hot glue.Once you’re happy with it and it now looks like a mushroom head, glue it on top of the lid. The edge doesn’t look nice and clean I wrapped mine with raffia to hide the glue that oozed out of the edges. So here is the before and after.
So easy and cute!