I have been asked by Alex, a community manager for Man Crates to come up with a post highlighting some items one could gift to a guy who is looking to decorate his new man cave. By the way, Man Crates is a new US-based company that ships awesome gifts for men in custom wooden crates that he has to open with a crowbar! It ships internationally but, of course, it won’t be cheap. I wish they would open a store in the Philippines. I would totally repurpose those adorable crates!
Anyway, as we are all probably aware of, most guys aren’t into decorating. My husband, for example, would find a room sufficient as long as it has a sofa, a table and some mismatched chairs for his friends to sit on. He probably wouldn’t even bother painting the walls or buy proper lighting fixtures. You might even mistake it for a storage room!If we ever had an extra room in the house, that is after I have my own craft room and home gym (hehe!), this is the way I would decorate a man cave. I’d really love to play around with texture in this room. I would love to make it look modern-rustic like an old-world tavern because it will make the men feel like they are in another place, sort of like an escape from home. Who wouldn’t want that? Haha!
The idea is to keep it as low maintenance as possible because I know most men would rather have that room exclusively theirs. No girls allowed, yea? So, design-wise, I think it is best to keep the furniture to a minimum, have a low maintenance rug and lots and lots of storage to hide those manly clutter!
Below are some of my man cave gift suggestions:
- Leather Sofa – Leather gets better with age and can withstand beverage spills and salsa splatters.
- Chest-Type Coffee Table – To keep furnishings to a minimum, they have to be of more than one function. This coffee table can store magazines, DVDs, books and random knick knacks.
- Hammered Mugs – How fun it would be to drink your beer the old-fashioned way? Hehe! Plus, since it’s not glass, no more risk of breaking it.
- Wooden Chip Bowl with Dip Holder – Guys may be careless (well, umm, most of them, I think) so, wood is much more durable the ceramic ones.
- Dart Board – Yes, I know. How stereotypical! But it has a cover so you wouldn’t have to know it’s a dart board especially if you DIY the front part into a wall art.
- A Huge Reclaimed Solid Wood Buffet – It might be pricey, but it sure will last for generations. This can be placed under the wall-mounted TV to store the video player, game consoles, etc.
- A Canvas/Leather Pouf – It provides extra seating and a place to put his feet up while watching the game. Again, it has to be dirt-resistant.
Throw in some black and white throws and a plain red colored one for some accent and a couple of low maintenance plant and the man cave now has some slick style!
Click here for more gift suggestions for your man.